Who We Are
The Antelope Valley Community Emergency Response Team (AVCERT) is comprised of community based volunteer citizens who understand their responsibility in preparing for disaster and have increased their ability to safely help themselves, their family and neighbors. CERT members can make a difference through citizen commitment with an emphasis on training, participation, coordination and communication.
- Training in basic life safety and emergency preparedness skills based on the FEMA curriculum, to provide basic care, stabilization and information in the event of a major incident or large scale disaster until emergency responders can arrive on scene.
- Maintaining CERT qualifications through advanced training and refresher classes;
- Following a disaster, providing immediate assistance to victims within their vicinity; organizing neighbors or co-workers who have not had the training; and collecting disaster intelligence that will assist professional responders with prioritization and allocation of resources.
- Supporting emergency responders upon their arrival or request within the scope of training.
- Informing and educating others about disaster preparedness to include assisting public safety agencies and local organizations with preparedness events and participating in community outreach opportunities.